An independent auto parts store that also distributed automotive detailing products, Ohio Auto Supply supplied auto parts to the local market for 75 years, and began distributing professional detailing products in 1970. Being one of the first to distribute car detailing products to the professional detailer, the company’s offering and expertise grew as the American automotive detailing industry evolved. Ohio Auto began manufacturing the PDP line in 1983. Now, PDP manufactures more than 200 products and distributes thousands of other detailing and car wash products.
The expert team at Ohio Auto Supply/ Professional Detailing Products has a wealth of experience, and an uncanny knack to recognize, develop, and introduce innovative, high quality products that save time and effort, while producing amazing results.
Ohio Auto Supply has been open for business in Canton, Ohio since 1933. Max Rubin emigrated from Russia in 1913 with nothing but the shirt on his back, his strong spiritual beliefs, and a generous heart. In May of 1933, he founded an auto wrecking yard in downtown Canton, Ohio, which eventually grew to offer new auto parts as the automobile became an integral part of America’s economy. Even as the country was in the midst of a depression, he founded a business, and was also known to find ways to lend money to friends to start other businesses.
In 1947, Rubin moved Ohio Auto Supply to a bigger location on W, Tuscarawas Street, a main thoroughfare. His son-in-law Phil Dickson joined him in the business, after serving overseas in WWII. For more than 50 years, Dickson diligently worked the business, and was well respected for his fair dealings with suppliers, customers, and employees.
In 1970, Dickson took on the Pro Car Beauty line of professional detailing chemicals, to distribute wholesale to dealerships and shops, in addition to his auto parts lines. His recognizing this exclusive niche in this new wholesale market, made Ohio Auto Supply one of the first major distributors of professional detailing supplies in Ohio, and began a chain of events responsible for the evolution of the detailing industry in the Midwest, and for Professional Detailing Products, Inc., enabling it to be an agent for positive change and innovation in today’s global detailing industry.
Michael Dickson joined his father in the business in 1980, and in 1983 they both began the adventure that would become Professional Detailing Products. Beginning with top-notch formulas for 5 concentrated professional products, Ohio Auto became a local manufacturer, deepening their niche as a leading supplier of Detailing products, and offering superior products at a huge savings- an unbeatable combination.
Michael, in addition to compounding the formulas, was also on the road selling. Bred from Phil’s sound business practices and philosophies, Ohio Auto always went above and beyond in providing superior customer service, in addition to providing the highest standard of quality products. By listening to the customers, and spending every day in the trenches and front lines, trying to solve the customers problems, the Professional Detailing Products line grew, offering new solutions for the detailer and for management.
In 1998, a new investment was made in a brand new facility for warehouse, office, manufacturing, and showroom. Ohio Auto’s auto parts business had continued to grow also, and Ohio Auto was warehouse distributing ACDelco and all major auto parts lines to dealerships and professional mechanics.
The two types of businesses, auto parts and auto detailing supplies were growing, side by side. In 2009, an opportunity was taken to sell the auto parts side of the business, enabling the concentration of full resources on Professional Detailing Products, which continued to grow by leaps and bounds.
Ground was broken again in Spring 2015 to add 4000 sq ft to Ohio Auto’s Canton facility, making more room for manufacturing and inventory, and a State of the Art Detailing Training Facility. Completion is expected in September 2015.